I hear just about every day from someone who may be a friend, new acquaintance or a stranger a pretty similar comment. It goes something like this, "I could NEVER have 10 kids!" Actually, many times it's, "I could never have 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever!" Now I'm really right there with these women. I'm no super mom. I'm just a regular girl trying to follow the Lord's will.
Well, I decided to make a list of the reasons why I really shouldn't of had so many kids:
1. I'm selfish and self-centered. I basically was raised a spoiled little brat that got whatever I wanted.
2. I'm not a natural servant. I grew up being served not serving. When I take all those spiritual gifting tests, servanthood is always last on my list.
3. I spent a lot money, tears and work on my bachelor's degree in nursing, so I should use it and not stay home with babies.
4. I'm RH negative. Yes, if I lived 60 years ago I probably wouldn't of been able to have more than 2 healthy children. So I'm thankful for medical science!
5. I'm not crafty and I can barely sew.
6. I'm not patient, in the least! Now I have learned some patience (which I think is one reason God gave my so many kids) but ask any of my children whom I've taught to read and they will tell you how patient I am (smirk....please don't ask them.)
7. I don't like my plans being changed or being interrupted. This is a daily occurrence when you have even just one child.
8. I wasn't the best babysitter growing up and I absolutely hated pediatric nursing.
9. I don't like messes or cluttered dirty houses. This has been a real life changer for me.
10. I like to have "me time" and my husband likes to have "me time with me and no kids." I think he's looking forward to retirement age.
But God molds us and changes us. He knows what we are capable of, even when we don't. He gives us the grace, strength, patience, etc. when we need it. Many times not before, because then we would think that we are capable on our own and can do it without Him. Where God calls, He equips and I'm so very thankful for that. Of course, the world would look at my list and say "no way this lady should have more than 2 kids, let alone 10." But everyday I look at my precious children and I'm so glad that by God's grace, I didn't listen to the world.